The Society was formed in 1888 by a keen group of stamp collectors based in Wellington, New Zealand. They formed "The Philatelic Society of New Zealand". Even from the very beginning their aims were based around research, publication of the results of their studies and the formation of a library of philatelic literature. The Royal prefix was granted in 1946, and since then our Patron has been the Governor-General of New Zealand, or on one occasion, his wife. A fuller history can be found in the Society's 1988 monograph A Century of Philately.
The Society aims to be the hub for the more advanced collectors of the stamps and postal history of New Zealand, as well as experienced collectors, researchers, writers, exhibitors and judges of all philatelic tastes within New Zealand. Ten of our members have signed the Roll of Distinguished Philatelists.
The Society also took on some responsibility for the advancement of the hobby and relating the wishes of the collectors to the stamp issuing authorities of the time - a role that has continued to this day. Our members are involved in local and international exhibitions at all levels, from exhibiting to judging, and we try to have a table at most shows.
We are loosely affiliated with the other "Royals" around the world, namely London, Cape Town, Canada, Victoria & Sydney . We now have about 320 members, with about 50% residing outside New Zealand.
Rules & Bylaws (2018)